Maritime inquiry 1939 - 1945

The information below regarding ships in the Nortraship fleet is a direct transcript of the original source "Sjøforklaringer fra andre verdenskrig (1940 - 1945)". The informasjon is collected from maritime inquiries held during and right after the war. The information may differ from the other quality assured information in Krigsseilerregisteret.

February 26, 1941
55 45 N, 14 29 V
Torpedert [av tysk ubåt]
Fly og 1000 tonn ballastsand
Liverpool - Belfast - Takoradi
Crew list
0 [0]
  • Abstract

    March 7, 1941
    Consul Johan Vogt
    Mannskap på 32, dessuten 4 passasjerer.

    Appeared the vessel's master who produced the following extract from the log book:


    The master referred in all respects to his extract and stated that everything was in complete order on board, and that there was no fault or defect in the ship's hull or rigging with appurtenances. Nor with the ship's motors, boilers, pipe lines, the vessel's equipment or manning. Nor was there any lack of necessary or prescribed safety precautions. The equipment and the manning were in accordance with the regulatirons. The cargo was properly distributed and secured. Two aeroplanes were standing on the hatches and the probaly height from the deck was 10 fee. Everything went on calmly and orderly, and no suggestion of panic. The captain had nothing further to report about the loss, but could state that the 3rd engineer Ragnvald Blomvik had been sent to hospital on account of shock and possible internal injury. Captain Braastad had nothing to remark and nothing to ask the captain about.


    1st witness appeared:-

    The officer on watch, 2nd officer Wilhelm Gulbrandsen ...

    The witness stated that they had look-out on the forecastle head, and as long as it was light they had always look-out in the crow's nest. Everything was in complete order on board and the lifesaving equipment in first class order. They had 2 rafts. The witness was standing on the bridge when the casualty occurred. At about 0.15 or 0.30 oæclock the witness saw the light from a rocket from a vessel astern. If she had been torpedoed she should have sent up two rockets. The witnes at once informed the captain who immediately came up on the bridge. The captain at once gave orders that all men were to be called out. At about 0.45 o'clock the witness saw two rockets from a vessel on the port quarter, and they could then both see and hear explosion from that ship.

    All the vessels in the convoy altered course (emergency turn), first to starboard, afterwards to port. The witness had in advance been made familiar with the convoy instructions by the captain, and all regulations and orders were punctually carried out. Suddenly, at 1.25 o'clock, a torpedo struck the vessel on the port side forward of the bridge. Much damage was caused. The witness stated that masses of splinters were fly ing about in the air and he himself was struck on the forehead and on the knee and cannot remember what happened during the next couple of minutes. The lifeboats, 1 on the starboard and 1 on the port side, and the motor lifeboat aft, were hanging ready for lowering, and all the men and passengers got into the boats without mishap. The witness himself was in the motor boat and took the two other lifeboats in tow. They were then told by the destroyer to keep stationary (still) and they would later be picked up by her. At 3 o'clock in the morning they were taken on board the destroyer.

    When it became light, the ship was still lying afloat. 16 men then went on board, among them also the witness. They tried to get the ship into port, but had to give it up as wind and sea increased and the vessel began to labour, leak and to develop a list. The captain and all three officers were on the bridge, but as they later found that the water had risen 2 feet in the forward part of the ship, they appreciated that it was impossible to get the vessel to land. They abandoned the ship at about 5.20 o'clock p.m. The witness did not see that the vessel went down, but was of the opinion that there was no doubt that she sank, specially as it became stormy during the night.- All had lifebelts on, also the four passengers.


    ... as the next (2nd) witness appeared:-

    Chief engineer Ole Einar Hansen ...

    The witness was standing on the boat deck, on the port side, when the explosion occurred. All the men were called out.- The explosion came quite suddenly and unexpectedly. Water and splinters were flying about in black smoke. Considerable damage was done. The witness at once went down on to the deck in order to go down to the engine to stop it, but on the lower deck he was met by masses of water and he felt that the vessel was heeling over. He thereafter wnet down to the skylight and there found that the engine had been stopped. He then went into the starboard lifeboat, and after it had got into the water they pushed off from the ship's side according to orders from the captian. The captain later came into the motor lifeboat. About 1 1/2 hours later they were picked up by the destroyer. In the morning the ship could be seen still floating, down by the bow. The witness was among the 16 men who went on board again. When he came into the engine room they found that the No. 3 auxiliary motor was in working order and it was started, the No. 2 had stopped. The No. 1 was working, but had to be shut down as it had run warm. It was however put on 2 hours later. Both the main engines were started according to orders from the bridge and worked well. During the afternoon, however, the sea increased, and later they again had to leave the ship as more and more water came into the holds and water commenced to penetrate along the rivets. In accordance lith orders from the bridge both enginges were stopped. Everything was in very good order on board. The witness did not see the ship sink, but was of opinion that there was no doubt that she sank as the sea increased later and the vessel was listing more and more.

    ... as 3rd witness appeared:-

    A.B. Seaman Ole Henriksen ...

    The witness was just on the way towards aft, and had left the wheel, when the explosion occured. When the torpedo struck the vessel he was at the NO. 4 hatch. The witness went into the starboard lifebaot. He was among the 16 men who went on board the day after and was there the whole day. Otherwise, the witness made statement in accordance wit the previous witnesses.