Maritime inquiry 1939 - 1945

The information below regarding ships in the Nortraship fleet is a direct transcript of the original source "Sjøforklaringer fra andre verdenskrig (1940 - 1945)". The informasjon is collected from maritime inquiries held during and right after the war. The information may differ from the other quality assured information in Krigsseilerregisteret.

February 26, 1941
55 45 N, 14 29 V
Torpedert [av tysk ubåt]
Fly og 1000 tonn ballastsand
Liverpool - Belfast - Takoradi
Crew list
0 [0]
  • Extract from the log book of the M/S "BORGLAND"

    On Monday th 24/2 1941, at 01.00 o'clock, left Belfast in organized British convoy. On the same day at 1200 o'clock joined the main convoy in the North Channel. Steered the convoy courses.

    On Wednesday the 25/2 1941, at 0125 o'clock, at 55g 45m N., 14g 29m W., according to dead reckoning, the vessel was torpedoed on the port side in way of the forward part of the bridge in NO. 2 hold. The captain, the chief officer and the 2nd officer were on the bridge. The vessel commenced to sink by the bow. At 0140 o'clock all men left the ship and were soon afterwards picked up by the escort ship "Pimpernel". At 0300 o'clock all the men and 4 British passengers had been taken on board the escort ship.

    As the "Borgland" was still afloat in the morning, 16 men rowed on board again in order to look at the damage and, if possible, to take the vessel back to land. There was a large hole on the port side. The tween deck on that side had been blown away, likewise all the cross webs in the No. 2 hatch had disappeared. Nos 2 and 3 lower holds were full of water. On the starboard side in the No. 2 hold there was a hole about 2 feet in diameter, as well as several small holes. 2 large cracks in the ship's side and the shelter deck. In addition considerable damage to the saloon and bridge structures. The pumps to the forward part of the ship did not work. The main engines were started and we proceeded towards land with course for the North Channel. The escort ship was standing by. The height of the water in the hold rose and the vessel sank more and more by the bow, she also developed a list to port of about 30g. The cracks on the starboard side widened and the vessel would not steer. The wind was with increasing force and swell. Rivets burst in the engine room bulkhead and water penetrated into the engine room. At 1720 o'clock all men left the ship again and went on board the escort ship. On Friday the 28/2, at 1430 o'clock, all men were landed at the Pier Head at Livepool.

    And. Andresen