Maritime inquiry 1939 - 1945

The information below regarding ships in the Nortraship fleet is a direct transcript of the original source "Sjøforklaringer fra andre verdenskrig (1940 - 1945)". The informasjon is collected from maritime inquiries held during and right after the war. The information may differ from the other quality assured information in Krigsseilerregisteret.

March 21, 1944
20o48' nord, 59o38' øst
Torpedert [av japansk ubåt]
Aden - Abadan
Crew list
7 [4]
  • Abstract

    April 19, 1944
    Hon. Vice-Consul Paul Chevriot


    Extract of Log, dated Suez, 14th April 1944, was read out ...

    ... the master, who on interrogation stated that at the time at which his vessel was torpedoed, he was in his cabin. He said that he was thrown down by the force of the explosion, and the heavy list taken by the ship. He recovered himself and ran to the bridge at which moment vessel appeared to receive the second and third torpedoes. On reaching the bridge, witness stated he ordered the radio operator to send out an S.O.S. signal, but this was found impossible owing to the transmitting apparatus having become disabled by the force of the explosions. Witness then stated that in view of the continuing heavy list vessel was taking, he ordered "abandon ship", but it being impossible to lower away the starboard lifeboats (the port boats had been destroyed. See Log Extract), the crew were obliged to throw themselves into the water. The master added that he was of the opinon that he had been the last to leave the vessel, and that, at the time, only the fore half remained above water with a heavy and increasing list to port.


    ... Alfred Toftevaag, cheif engineer ... He stated that at the time vessel was torpedoed he was resting in his cabin. On feeling the shock of the first explosion, he seized his life-jacket and was proceeding on deck when he heard the engines stop. He continued to the deck where he found vessel to be listing heavily. He stated that he then reached the boat deck with the intention of assisting in lowering the lifeboat, when the ship' s stern sank under him. He then swam to a nearby raft to which he climbed. On interrogation witness stated that he was satisfied that all the eninge-room staff fulfilled their duties until it was no longer possible to remain below.

    Then appeared the third witness, Johannes Eikeland, chief officer ... This witness said that at the time, he was in his cabin. He felt a heavy shock accompanied by a loud explosion. He immediately put on his life-jacket and proceeded on deck to the port lifeboat which was in his charge. He found that lifeobat to have been completely destroyed, and he then gained the midships deck to find that vessel was listing heavily and sinking, the port bulwark being at water level. Witness stated that he then jumped into the water, and was eventueally picked up by the motor life-boat. This witness added that he saw a submarine some distance off, which fired two shells. Nationality of the submarine was unknown.

    The fourth witness, Kaare Helgesen, 2nd officer ... said that he was on watch on the bridge when vessel was torpedoed. He felt three heavy explosions, and saw the after end of the vessel lift and subside heavily. He was joined by the Master, and he later proceeded to the starboard lifeboat with the intention to lower the boat. Owing to the heavy list, witness stated that this proved impossible, and he, together with other members of the crew jumped overboard. He stated that he saw the submarine some distance off, which opened fire. Witness was unable to say to what nationality the submarine belonged. He added that after swimming for some while, he reached a raftfrom which he was subsequently picked up by the motor-lifeboat.