Maritime inquiry 1939 - 1945

The information below regarding ships in the Nortraship fleet is a direct transcript of the original source "Sjøforklaringer fra andre verdenskrig (1940 - 1945)". The informasjon is collected from maritime inquiries held during and right after the war. The information may differ from the other quality assured information in Krigsseilerregisteret.

June 12, 1941
300 mil nord for Azorene
Torpedert [av tysk ubåt]
Glasgow - New York
Crew list
0 [0]
  • Captain's report

    s.s. "RANELLA" of Kristiansand, Norway, Gross - 5590 Net - 3372, whereof C. Mørland is master, and crew of 29 officers and men, including master, left Glasgow, Scotland on June 4th 1941 for New York U.S. America, in ballast.

    Ship proceeded in "convoy" till June 10th when dispersed from Convoy where after ship proceeded on her own, according to routes received.

    On June 12the when approxitately position N. Lat. 43-39, W. Long 28-00 dg. the ship was struck, without warning, by a torpedo. Ship was stopped and all the crew took to the boats. Ship later seen sunk by a submarine. The lifeboats having arranged to make for Azores, and to keep company with each other, made for land. Other boat was last seen on June 13th at noon.

    Captain's boat arrived at Terceira, Azores, on the 22nd of June with 15 men all saved. Other boat not heard of despite full inquiries.

    Angro de Heroismo, Terceira, Azores, June 26the 1941

    C. Mørland, Master

    A short report about the voyage in the Chief Officer's lifeboat

    After they had gone into the boats and rowed away from the ship in order to avoid the consequences of a possible further explosion and had seen the vessel founder, they were in both boats in agreement that they should try to reach the Azores, and if possible both boats keeping together.

    On the following day they lost contact with the Master's lifeboat and as there was a head wind as regards sailing direct for the Azores, it was agreed, after ship's council in the Chief Officer's boat with 14 men, that they should set course for the European Continent (Portugal) where they considered there were better chaces of reacing land or be picked up by passing ships. However, no vessels came in sight before the forenoon of the 23rd June. At the same time they sighted land and as there was very high sea and the risk in boarding therefore very great, they found it more advisable to continue sailing towards land. On the 24th July at 2 o'clock in the morning, arrived at Figueria da Foz, all the men, generally speaking, in good condition after having been 12 days in the lifeboat.

    In the afternoon of the same day the Norwegian Consul arrived at Figuera da Foz from Oporto and it was arranged that all the men should be sent to Lisbon where they arrived on the 25th of June in the morning.

    Lisbon, the 7/7.1941

    E. A. Olsen, Chief Officer