Maritime inquiry 1939 - 1945

The information below regarding ships in the Nortraship fleet is a direct transcript of the original source "Sjøforklaringer fra andre verdenskrig (1940 - 1945)". The informasjon is collected from maritime inquiries held during and right after the war. The information may differ from the other quality assured information in Krigsseilerregisteret.

May 3, 1941
Utenfor Cromer
Bombet [av tyske fly]
Blyth - London
Crew list
0 [0]
  • Extract of Log Book of the S.S. "SITONA"

    On Friday the 2nd of May the S.S. "SITONA" left Blyth, loaded with coal, bound for London.

    At about 0.30 o'clock joined south-going convoy. The voyage was continued without anything noteworthy happening until the 3rd May when we heard German aeroplanes coming over. At 23.10 o'clock the vessel was struck by an aerial torpedo or bomb on the port side which passed through the vessel and out on the starboard side. The engine was partly smashed and water penetrated into the engine room and the boiler room so that the engine stopped and the vessel commenced to sink. We got the lifeboats ready, but on the port lifeboat the forward tackle had been blown away so that the boat could not be lowered into the water, whilst the lifesaving raft had also been destroyed by bomb or otherwise. All the men, except the Captain, the chief Officer, the 2nd Engineer and ordinary seaman Hervik, went into the starboard lifeboat and kept clear of the vessel in such a way, however, that at any time they were ready to go to the assistance of those who were still on board.

    At about 0.15 o'clock, when it was clear to them that there was nothing more to be done, the Captain, the Chief Officer, the 2nd Engineer and ordinary seaman Hervik left the vessel and were picked up by the destroyer "K.89" which had already taken on board the other members of the crew. At about 1.15 o'clock an explosion was observed on board the S.S. "SITONA", after which the vessel sank.

    The crew were taken by the destroyer to two trawlers one of which brought the crew into Grimsby on Sunday the 4th May 1941.

    Alb. Arntzen, Master

    S/S "SITONA. Log extract as regards the engine room

    On Friday the 2nd May, at 20.00 o'clock, the s/s "Sitona" left Blyth bound for Deadman's Dock, London. The voyage was continued with varying speed. From full speed to dead slow. On the 3rd May, at 23.05 o'clock slow speed, at 23.07 half speed, at 23.10 o'clock a torpedo or bomb struck the engine room on the port side and passed through the engine room and out on the starboard side. In consequence of this the engine was smashed so that water and steam filled the engine room and the vessel began to sink. We then got into the lifeboats and rowed around for a while until we were picked up by a destroyer which later put us on board a guardship and the latter landed us at Grimsby on Sunday afternoon.

    Hjalmar Pedersen, Chief Engineer