Maritime inquiry 1939 - 1945

The information below regarding ships in the Nortraship fleet is a direct transcript of the original source "Sjøforklaringer fra andre verdenskrig (1940 - 1945)". The informasjon is collected from maritime inquiries held during and right after the war. The information may differ from the other quality assured information in Krigsseilerregisteret.

February 23, 1944
Skipet forlatt N 13 46 minutes, E 48 46 - ca. 6 miles fra hvor det ble torpedert
Torpedert [av tysk ubåt]
14546 tonn Admiralty Fuel Oil
Abadan - Suez
Crew list
  • Extract of log of M/V Erling Brøvig. Submarine torpedo-attack and susequent major damage to ship.

    On the voyage from Abadan to Suez for orders with a full cargo of Admiralty Fuel Oil 14546 tons. Left Bandar Abbas at 1500 hrs on the 16th. February 1944. (Convoy PA 69) Draft F:29'3" A:29'9". Ship seaworthy and fully manned.

    Wed. 23rd Febr. 1944.

    AT 0330 hrs. an explosion was heard and a ship in 3rd column was seen torpedoed and burst into flames. Alarm for action stations was immediately sounded and everybody went to their usual stations, where they remained. Fire hoses were coupled and brought in readiness and orders for sharp lookout given to all stations. At 0335 hrs. a ship in 4th column was torpedoed and caught fire; no signals were received from Commodore of convoy. Continued with the same course and speed and kept station in convoy.

    At 0449 hrs. signal for torpedo-track on port side was given by a ship in one of the port columns, Gave orders over the telephone to all stations for sharpened lookout. It was impossible to determine from which ship in the convoy the signals were given. A few seconds later the Captain, 2nd officer and a couple of the crew saw a torpedo-track about 45 degrees on the port bow, but before the helm could be put over or anything else be done, the torpedo hit amidship and exploded. The ship was then exactly on her station in the convoy.

    The engines were stopped, and the damage examined as far as conditions permitted. A "SSS" message was sent by W/T 500 kc/s and the appropriate light signals made. At 0450 hrs the torpedo hit. It struck the ship at an angle of about 60 degrees on the port side and exploded in tanks nos. 5 and 6. The ship's side to tanks 17 and 18 was flung open, the deck torn and set up 8-10 freet for a length of 30-40 feet from port side and well over the midship line, and the ship sagged badly amidship as if her back was broken.

    The engineers reported that there was no water in the engine room, and everything apparently in order. The steering gear was examined and found to be in working order. We then tried to follow the convoy at moderate speed, but as soon as the ship got any headway, she started breaking over more and more abaft the pumproom. On starboard side the shell-plating protruded outwards forming an arc, and the deck was set up, while on port side the whole deckplating and the flying bridge were set up. The engines were again stopped. The convoy proceeded out of sight, no escort ship or aircraft were seen. The ship continued to break and loud crashes were heard as rivets and bulkheads cracked and sprung aleak, and the oil flowed out from the tanks. The pumproom filled with oil and water, the valves for tanks nos 3-4 and 12 were opened to the sea in order to get rid of some oil and lighten the ship.

    At 0615 hrs. a white feather of water was seen about half a mile off, and this was believed to be from the periscope of a submarine. The crew were at there stations and at 0630 hrs. the lifeboats were sent away with the whole crew except the Captain, Ch. Officer, W/T Operator, 3rd Engineer, AB Skjerdal and Motormann meling, as it was considerred likely that a submarine might launch a new attack at any moment. At 0650 hrs. an aircraft was sighted. It passed far off along the coast.

    An amplifying message was made, coded and recoded as follows. To Admiralty Aden. Torpedoed amidship. Likely to break in halves, submarines around, standing by with 6 men onboard, request immediate assistance. End.

    At 0800 hrs. (0500 GMT) this message had been sent. The lifeboats were ordered to keep near the ship, but not to close in case of renewed torpedo attacks. At 0820 hrs. tried to take the ship in towards the coast at dead slow speed. True course 330 degrees.

    At about 9 o'clock the corvette Orissa arrived. The lifeboats which were about 1.5 miles astern, were taken i tow. We asked for a chart covering the anchorages of the coast and made the following signal to the corvette: "I am trying to take the ship to shallow water and anchor her." The corvette handed the chart to one of the lifeboats, which pulled up to our ship and delivered it onboard, whereupon she stood off again, and the corvette proceeded on her way to catch up on the convoy.

    We continued to go in towards the coast using the engines as required at dead slow ahead and stop in order to put as little strain as possible on the already broken ship. The ship, however, contiued to break. Aircfraft circled around now and then.

    At about 11 o'clock sighted a warship on the horizon. The ship, on closing, proved to be the Tamworth, senior Officer of the Ocean Escort, made for the lifeboats which then were in a position about 45 degrees on starboard bow 2-3 miles off.

    At about 1130 hrs another bulkhead in the ship broke (probably that to tank 13). The ship which until now had had a list of about 25 degrees to port, straightened up, but sank about 7 feet in the middle. On the starboard side the shellplating now protruded outwards about 4 feet forming an arc, and the deckplating had doubled rising upwards about 4 feet from deck level. The main deck on starboard side was now submerged and about 5 feet under sea level. On the port side where the explosion had taken place, the deckplates were set up 12-15 feet and torn, and the ship's side torn open for a length of 15-20 feet. The oil was streaming out, and the ship continued to sink in the middle, so it looked as if the forepart and afterpart of the ship would break apart at any moment.

    Received no reply from Aden to the amplifying message. The confridential books and G.G. papers were now disposed of. They were kept in a weighted and perforated iron case, and in additgion a hand lead was attached. The W/T Operator tried to send a message to Aden, but the aerials now were so fouled that no message could be sent.

    At about 12 o'clock we took to the rafts, and the motorlifeboat came up and towed the rafts clear to the ship. Morse signals were sent to the Tamworth and she came up within hailing distance. The Captain reported the situation to the C.O. and asked him to stand by the ship as a protection against further submarine attacks, but C.O. stated that his Astec and Radar were out of action due to explosions of depth charges, and as he already had 87 survivors from other ships onboard and his bunker oil was running low, he would not stop for more than the shortest time necessary to pick up the crew from the lifreboats. As C.O. considered the danger of renewed torpedo attacks as imminent, and the ship itself a "sitting target", he ordered everybody to leave the ship.

    As the damage to the ship was considerable and almost Fatal and 7-8 hours of earnest attempts of bringing the ship towards the coast and shallow water had failed, the Captain let the whole crew take onboard the corvette, for when assistance and escort were available to go back onboard and continue the work on saving the ship. The lifeboats were let go adrift.

    We had managed to take the ship about 6 miles towards the coast, when the attempt had to be given up.

    From the corvette the following signal was sent: Erling Brøvig still afloat. Back broken. Taken off crew. Position: North 13 degrees 46 minutes, East 48 degrees 46 minutes. End.

    We arrived at Aden and were landed at about 10 o'clock on the 24th February.

    Aden 25-26th February, 1944

    Rud.ø V. Jacobsen, Master

    E. Dahl, Chief Engineer

    Jørgen Jansen, Chief Officer

    Rapport for M/T Erling Brøvig for tidsrummet 25.2.1944 til 13.4.1944, da skibet var under engelsk flagg.

    1944. Febr. 25. Kl. 09.00 Kapteinen og 1. styrm. blev intervjuet av S.O.I. Der blev oplyst om at bergingsbåt var på vei ut til skibet. Kapteinen bad om tillatelse til å gå ut med en av bergingsbåtene.

    Dagene fra 26.2 til 3.3 gikk, og man fikk oplyst gjennom R.N. at skibet var blitt tatt på slep og nermet sig Aden med ca. 2 knops fart. På tross av kapteinens gjentagne anmodninger fikk hverken han eller noen annen av skaibets besetning anledning til å komme ombord.

    1944. Mars 3. Fikk beskjed fra R.N. at skibet nermet sig, og kapteinen, 1. styrm. og 1. mask. sammen med R.N. officere, representant for M. of W.T. og Lloyd's Surveyor gikk da ut med exam.båt. Kl. 13.10 gikk ut. Kl. 14.10 var man ute ved skibet som ennu ikke var kommet til ankerplassen, men blev tauet av "Confederate" forut og "Ocean Salvor" akterut. Det norske flagg som var heist da man forlot skibet, var nu tatt ned og det engelske heist. Skibets dypg. F. ca. 16', A. ca. 12' (propellerbosset oppe), M ca. 50'. Vannet skyllet inn på midtskibsdekket i akterkanten. Skylightet for pumperummet oppe. Forover skyllet vannet til forkant av skanseklaedningen midtskibs på hoveddekket. Akterover skyllet vannet til tanklukene 14 og 19. Stormbroen med rekkverk midtskibs var under vann, men endel brukne rør og stenger stakk op. Motorbåten akter var borte, ellers var intet serskilt å merkie. Skibet blev ankret utenfor Jezt. Salil i ca. 9 fv. vann, stb. anker, antagelig 60 fv. i vannet. En bergningsbåt ankret op i nerheten.

    1944. Mars 4. Kl. 09.00 gikk kapteinen og 1. styrm. på anmodning fra R.N. sammen med Lloyd's Surveyor, representant for M. og W.T. og S.O.I. ut for å hente tegninger og planer av skibet. Det viste sig da at det meste av personlige effekter av noen verdi var fjernet, obg en hel del av skibets utstyr, inventar og sågodtsom all proviant, og alt brennevin og tobakk var borte. Alle tegninger og planer over skibet blev overlatt til R.N. og Lloyd's Surveyor. Det så ut som at skibet hadde sunket ca. 2' på midten. Vannet skyllet forover til forkanten av midtskibshuset og akterover til bølgebryteren.

    1944. Mars 5. Det blev arrangert for mannskapet å gå ut med taubåt for å hente det som måtte være igjen av private effekter. Kl. 07.30 gikk hele besetningen ut med undtagelse av Kapteinen som ikke vilde borde skibet uten anmodning fra R.N. da det var under engelsk flagg.

    Skibet lå omtrent som før, olje kom ut, og for- og akterskib beveget sig uavhengig i sjøen.

    Hver mann tok det som var igjen av hans personlige effekter. En "Armed guard" fra R.N. undersøkte Ocean Salvor. Man fant da endel effekter og inventar der, deriblandt motorbåten, kronometer, sekstant, 2 skrivemaskiner, bølgemåler for radio m.v.v

    1944. Mars 6. Confederate undersøkt. Fant endel proviant, som forøvrig var opført på liste, men ingen effekter eller inventar.

    Erliing Brøvigs stb. anker med 75 fv. kjetting stukket fra, og skibet skiftet til en bedre ankerplass innenfor Jezt. Salil og ankret der med bb. anker 45 fv., 8 fv. vann.

    1944. Mars 7. Kapteinen sammen med C. in C. Commodore Aylmar gikk ombord for å se på skibet. Commodoren blev gjort opmerksom på at det engelsek flagg var heist under gaffelen.

    1. styrm. og 3. mask gikk på kapteinens anmodning ombord sammen med kapteinen og 1. mask. på M/T British Justice for å la disse to se på forholdene, da kapteinen forsøkte å arrangere så British Justice kunde gå langs siden og ta oljelasten fra Erling Brøvig. Skibet lå da omtrent som før. Tankene så ut til å være uskadt, nr. 9.14.19 likeså og kanskje nr. 8. Kapteinen og 1. mask. på British Justice fant at de ikke vilde forsøke å ta lasten fra Erling Brøvig.

    Fra 8.3 til 26.3. Fortsatte samtaler og konferanser med autoritetene iland for å arrangere med passende skib for å ta oljelasten fra Erling Brøvig, men da en engelsk tankbåt sank på ytre havn efter kollisjon, blev alle midler til rådighet satt inn for å løfte dette skib, da skaden var forholdsvis liten, og tankbåten kunde bli satt i fart igjen efter kortvarig reparasjon.

    1944. Mars 27. Det var blitt arrangert at elve-tankbåt Danube Shell skulde gå ut for å lektre olje fra Erling Brøvig. De nødvendige officerer og mannskap blev sendt ut for å delta i arbeidet. Man innfant sig til avtalt tid på avtalt sted, men på grunn av skifting av fartøier i havnen, kunde Danube Shell ikke gå ut.

    1944. Mars 28. Man innfant sig på avtalt sted til samme tid, men blev forhindret fra å gå ut av samme grunn som dagen før.

    1944. Mars 29. Kl. 09.00 gikk ut med Danube Shell. Kl. 10.30 langs siden. En 6" slange blev koblet og lagt ned gjennem luken til tank nr. 3. En motor-centrifugalpumpe av ca. 250 tons kapasitet blev benyttet. Kl. 11.40 begynte å pumpe olje. Kl. 17.15 stoppet, 494 tons ollje. K. 17.25 gikk fra siden. Erling Brøvigs dypg. eftger pumping F 10'16" A 121 M ca. 50"!

    1944. Mars 30. Danube Shell losset sin last.

    1944. Mars 31. Kl. 08.00 gikk ut med Danube Shell. Kl. 10.00 ferdig fortøiet langs siden. Kl. 10.55 begynte å pumpe fra nr. 3. Kl. 13.00 loddet midtskibs 45' vann. Kl. 15.15 stoppet pumpe, 550 tons olje. Kl. 15.40 gikk fra siden. Dypg. efter pumping F 8' 6" M ca. 48' A ca. 14'.

    1944 April 1. Danube Shell losset lasten.

    1944. April 2. Kl. 08.10 gikk ut med Danube Shell. Kl. 10.00 begbynte å pumpe fra forre tanker, slange i nr. 3, åpnet ventilene for de andre. Kl. 14.40 stoppet, 550 tons olje. Kl. 14.50 gikk fra siden. Dypg. F ca. 1' M ca. 45' A ca. 16'.

    1944. April 3. Kl. 09.10 gikk ut med Danube Shell. Kl. 11.15 fortøiet langs siden. Kl. 11.35 begynte å pumpe frea forre tanker. Kl. 16.05 stoppet, 550 tons olje. Kl. 1612 gikk fra siden. Dypg. F. ca. 1/2' M. ca. 42' A. ca. 16'.

    1944. April 4. Danube Shell losset sin last.

    1944. April 5. Kl. 08.10 gikk ut med Danube Shell. Kl. 09.30 langs siden. Kl. 10.30 begynte å pumpe fra forre tanker. Kl. 15.20 stoppet, 550 tons olje. Kl. 15.30 gikk fra siden. Dypg. F. ca. - 2.1/2' M ca. 40' A. ca. 16'.

    1944. April 6. Fikk kompressor ombord i Danube Shell. Kl. 09.30 gikk ut. Kl. 10.30 langs siden. Kl. 12.00 begynte å pumpe fra tank nr. 9. Pumpet endel fra tank nr. 4. Kl. 16.30 stoppet, 500 tons olje. Dypg. F. ca. 0 M ca. 38' A. ca. 16'. Rapporterte til D.E.M.S. om å ta iland endel ammunisjon som nu var oven vanne.

    1944. April 7. Gikk ut som vanlig efter å ha måttet vente på los. Pumpet fra tank nr. 4. Satte luftpress på nr. 3 og pumpet fra denne. Kl. 16.30 gikk fra siden, 550 tons olje. Dypg. F. ca. 1' M. ca. 37' A. ca. 16'.

    1944 April 8. Kl. 08.10 gikk ut med Danube Shell. Kl. 09.30 langs siden. Satte lufttrykk på tank nr. 3 og pumpet fra denne, pumpet endel fra nr. 4. Kl. 16.00 gikk fra siden, 300 tons olje.

    1944. April 9. Kl. 08.30 gikk ut med Danube Shell. Kl. 09.45 langs siden. Pumpet fra tank nr. 9, åpnet ventilene for nr. 14 og 19, vann på nr. 14, olje på nr. 19. Dypg. efter dagens pumping F 1' M ca. 36' A. ca. 17', 600 tons olje.

    Fra 10.4 til 12.4. Danube shell kunde ikke benyttes til lektring, da lånte pumper og kompressor måtte tilbakeleveres. Det blev arrangert med å få en annen pumpe og kompressor.

    1944. April 13. Kl. 09.10 gikk ut med Danube Shell. Rigget pumpe i tank nr. 9, en brenseloljepumpe tatt fra maskinrummet. Satte lufrttrykk på nr. 3 og pumpet fra denne ca. 150 tons olje. Stakk fyr på bb. kjele. 3 mask. Sanne og pumpemann Larsen stopet ombord.

    Aden den 15.4.1944

    Jørgen Jansen, 1. styrmann

    Rud. V. Jacobsen, Fører