Sjøforklaring 1939 - 1945

Informasjonen nedenfor vedr. skip i Nortraships flåte er direkte avskrift av orginalkilden "Sjøforklaringer fra andre verdenskrig (1940 - 1945)". Informasjonen her er fra sjøforklaringer holdt under og rett etter krigen og kan derfor avvike noe fra den øvrige kvalitetssikrede informasjonen i Krigsseilerregisteret.

1. april 1941
Ca. 10 miles utenfor the Smalls
Bombet av fly [tyske]
Pool Motor Spirit
Aruba - Bermuda - Barry Roads
29 [29]
  • Report of the bombing of m/s "HIDLEFJORD" on voyage from Aruba via Bermuda to Barry Roads

    Wednesday, February 2nd 1941. At 3.10 p.m. lefte Aruba. Cargo 10604,32 tons Pool Motor Spirit. The vessel in good seaworthy condition and well equipped for the voyage to Barry Roads via Bermuda.

    Sunday, March 9th 1941 At 11.00 a.m. left Bermuda in convoy.

    Tuesday, April 1st 1941. Weather cloudy with rain showers visibility variable. Wind S, force 4 sea 4. At 9.30 a.m. bombing and firing could be heard ahead, and 3 German planes were seen to approach, flying very low. The crew were ordered below deck, and the machinegun was manned. At this moment the first plane opened fire and shot at the wheel house. The helmsman, AB.S. Hushovd was mortally wounded. On passing fore part of the wheel house, the plane dropped 2 bombs. The vessel was hit by no 2 tank port, and the cargo at once caught fire. The fire spread very quickly, especially astern. The helm was turned hard Stb. in order go get the wind abeam, but without result. The engines were shut down by the Engineer on duty. From the midship port lifteboat was seen to be lowered half down to the water when the flames caught the boat.

    Midships the motorboat was lowered, but drifted in the flames when the bow line was cut. STB. light boat was then put on the water with 2 men, and the others left amidship jumped into the sea. 2 of them managed to get into theboat.

    The escortvessel "York City" picked up the 4 in the boat and 1 who swam out. At 10.00 a.m. the survivors were landed at Milford Haven and taken to Sailors Rest.

    Wednesday, April 2nd 1941. At 11.00 a.m. declaration was given to the Naval Control. At 6.40 p.m. left for Cardiff according to instructions from Nortraship.

    Friday, April 4th 1941. At 10.00 a.m. maritime declaration was held at the Norwegian Consulate.

    The survivors were:

    1st mate Nicol Hjorth Olsen

    2nd Mate Johannes Bunes

    A.B. and gunner Anton K. Fredriksen

    Steward Olav Bjune

    2nd engineer Egil Arnesen

    Cardiff April 4th 1941

    Signed by these five