Sjøforklaring 1939 - 1945

Informasjonen nedenfor vedr. skip i Nortraships flåte er direkte avskrift av orginalkilden "Sjøforklaringer fra andre verdenskrig (1940 - 1945)". Informasjonen her er fra sjøforklaringer holdt under og rett etter krigen og kan derfor avvike noe fra den øvrige kvalitetssikrede informasjonen i Krigsseilerregisteret.

4. februar 1941
Atlanterhavet, 56 N 19 V
Torpedert [av tyske ubåter]
Greenock - St. John, N.S.
14 [14]
  • Referat

    20. mai 1941
    Konsul L. Offerdahl


    Appeared Ivar Flaten, ... ordinary seaman on the s/s "Ringhorn" ...

    ... He referred to the report, which he and cook Pedersn had at one time given to the Consulate ...


    He added that he had been signed on on the Ringhorn on the 29th December 1940 in London. The vessel was then lying at Belfast and he commenced his duties on board the next day. From London to Belfast he travelled together with the captain, the chief officer, the cook, one A.B. Seaman and one fireman. All of these were new on board. When the torpedoing took place it was stormy weather with rough sea. It was quite dark and all lights on board were blacked out. He could, however, dimly make out the outline of the U-boat which passed probably about 25 to 30 metres away from the vessel after she had been torpedoed. At the moment of the torpedoing the witness was lying asleep and was flung out of his bunk when the torpedo struck. Two machine guns and a bomb thrower had been placed on board. There was no question at all about having time to make use of these guns. There was only one oar on the raft, which the witness managed to get on to. They were therefore unable to row the raft and, besides, the 4 on it were more or less injured so that they could not do anything.

    On the crew list being put before him he stated that the name of the vessel's master was Terkelsen and that he was either from Arendal or Tvedestrand. Aslaksen and Jørgen Hansen were officers, but he is not sure as to who was the chief officer and who was the 2nd officer. Egil Aune and Jostein Opheim were A.B Seamen. Jakob Bjørkman was no doubt the cheif engineer and Andras Mjelde must presumably have been the 2nd engineer. The witness does not remember this name, but he knows that the 2nd engineer was from Bergen. Johan A. Andersen and Erling Nyhus were A.B. Seamen and both were from Tønsberg. Erling Moe was fireman from Trondheim. With reference to David Martin, the witness cannot remeber that name, but on departure from Gourock two British seamen came on board one of whom went ashore when the vessel was lying in the roads. The names of the five who wee saved are as entered on the list.

    The witness further stated that tere was still another Opheim on board who had been signed on at Glasgow. He was an A.B. Seaman, but thewitness does not remember his christian name. In addition, there was signed on at Glasgow a wireless operator who, as far as the witness remembers, was from Bestum near Oslo. The witness does not remember his name. The witness had heard that a Dutchman was supposed to have been signed on at Glasgow, but he was no doubt left behind. The witness i quite sure that there was no Dutchman on board. Further, there was the steward on board the name of whom the witness does not remember. The steward, who was from Bergen, had been signed on in London together with Erling Nyhus and Johan Andersen and commenced his duties at Gourock.

    The crew consisted of 19 men, 14 of whom lost their lives and 5 were saved. Those missing should consequently be Captain Terkelsen, Chief Officer Aslaksen, 2nd Officer Jørgen Hansen, Chief Engineer Bjørkmann, 2nd Engineer Mjelde, the Wireless Operator, the Steward, 2 Firemen, 4 A.B. Seamen, and Opheim who worked partly as A.B. Seaman and partly as Trimmer.