Sjøforklaring 1939 - 1945

Informasjonen nedenfor vedr. skip i Nortraships flåte er direkte avskrift av orginalkilden "Sjøforklaringer fra andre verdenskrig (1940 - 1945)". Informasjonen her er fra sjøforklaringer holdt under og rett etter krigen og kan derfor avvike noe fra den øvrige kvalitetssikrede informasjonen i Krigsseilerregisteret.

24. januar 1942
Atlanterhavet, 45.50 N 51.40 V
Torpedert [av tysk ubåt]
China clay
Cardiff - Belfast - St. Johns N.B.
0 [27]
  • Referat

    25. april 1942
    Generalkonsul Henry Bay


    On arrival at Reykjavik the vessel's master, J. K. Knudstad, was taken to The Norwegian Hospital at Reykjavik for an indefinite period owing to frost-bite in consequence of the torpedoing. He has been unable to appear at the Maritime Inquiry, but he has prepared and sent to the Consulate General a report about the occurrence ...


    Appeared as 1st witness, Leif Meen ... 2nd officer on board the M/S "Ringstad". ...

    The witness stated that, without being on watch, he was in the chart-room during the forenoon of the 24th January 1942 where he, together with the chief officer, was ascertaining how many signal flags would have to be replaced by new ones. At 10.30 o'clock the witness heard an explosion amidships and it was clear to him that a torpedo had struck the ship. The master, who was also in the chart-room, at once went out to give the wireless operator the vessel's position. The M/S "Ringstad" was not proceeding in convoy. The witness left the bridge in order to fetch his lifesaving jacket and rubber suit. The vessel had begun to sink with the forward part of the ship. The crew and passengers had ample time to put out the lifeboats. They distributed themselves in three of these. Twenty minutes after the explosion the vessel sank. The witness only heard the one explosion and beyond this no shots were fired at the ship. Enquiry for the wireless operator was made from the witness's lifeboat to the nearest lifeboat, which was in charge of the chief officer, and received the reply that he was not there. Any enquiry about this to the third boat could not be made as that boat was too far away. The witness could not make any statment as regards the fate of teh other two lifeboats. There was light southerly wind and some sea at the time of the occurrence.


    Appeared as 2nd witness, Roar Boye Børresen ... greaser on board the M/S "Ringstad". ...

    The witness statedt that he was occupied with his work in the engine room during the forenoon of the 24th January 1942 when the witness heard an explosion and at once understood that a torpedo had struck the vessel. The witness, who at once went up on deck, saw the 2nd engineer stopping the motors. After having fetched a lifebelt from his cabin the witness continued to the lifeboat to which he had previously been assigned. The lifeboat came safely into the water and they waited for a while to ascertain the fate of the "Ringstad". Gradually the vessel went slowly down.


    The captain's report was thereafter read out to the witnesses who had nothing to remark as regards its contents.